Upp’ed my main dev machine

Posted on 4/1/2013 @ 1:35 PM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 1510 views

I have described my main working machines in my SharePoint 2013 development machine book.

Last Friday, I was busy compiling a big project in my consulting life. I realized, it takes a good 5-10 minutes for the project to compile and deploy. On my main desktop, I was pimping 24G of RAM and a Core i7 930 processor. The problem wasn’t those 5-10 minutes, the problem was, I got distracted, started watching funny dog videos on youtube, and well – lost time, lost track of what I was doing. Quite unproductive.

Secondly, I couldn’t run more than 1 SP2013 VM at a time. Very frequently, I would want to boot another VM, copy some stuff over, and oh booting a SP2013 VM, getting it to function was a good 3-5 minutes.

I noticed that most of the time being consumed was actually the processor being pegged.

So, I got in my car, drove to a local hardware store, and bought new computer parts. 3 hours later, I have my new rig running. I now have a gigabyte x79 up4 motherboard, Corei7 3930K processor, and 64G of RAM.

The results?

- That project now builds in 10 seconds.
- SP2013 VM ready to use in about 30 seconds.
- And when it runs, it’s a whole lot nicer to use.

Overall, I’m quite happy I did this. Laptop is still at 32G though, no way to fix that with the current technology spectrum at least.

On 4/1/2013 8:52:39 PM Harish Mathanan said ..

What was the total cost of the upgrade?The processor you got cost $600+ over in Australia....

Regards,

Harish

On 4/2/2013 4:30:00 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Harish, the processor alone was about $560 USD here. The one lower was about $300. The one up (extreme edition) was like a $1000+ .. nuts!

On 4/2/2013 5:55:32 PM Scott said ..
I've got a beast of server with 24GB of ECC FB-DIMMs and two quad-core Xeons that I'm thinking of parting with. Since the baby, I just don't have the time to turn the beast on. It also has 2x 300GB SAS SCSIs and 3x 1.5TB SATAs. I have an SSD to put in there, but I haven't had the time. You don't want your VMs competing for spindle time. Know anyone who would be interested?

On 4/2/2013 6:52:39 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Scott - phew, used computer stuff is hard to sell :-/

On 4/3/2013 1:08:14 PM Jason Idler said ..
Well you convinced me, I have the same but with GIGABYTE x79 UD5 just sitting unused, guess I better put it to work. The current X58 UD5 with i7920 has been awesome though considering it's age.

On 4/3/2013 2:54:10 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Jason - do it :), better tools didn't ever hurt anyone.

On 4/4/2013 5:30:49 PM John Smith said ..
Incredible. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I guest for the next version of SharePoint you'll need 128 GB of RAM to just set it up as a development machine.

Since when did a CMS/Document Management/Web Development Platform need so much CPU and RAM *just* to develop on. I understand you are maxing out your rig but it's amazing that you, being a SharePoint professional are so deep in it that you don't see the ridiculousness of why you would need to do this.

I guess this is a mini-rant but I just can't phantom needing all this processing power and ram, I guess this is more work than doing a climate change simulation.

On 4/4/2013 6:39:36 PM Sahil Malik said ..
John - I completely agree. The requirements for development for SP are out of whack and that is a big negative of SP. The good news though is, that Microsoft is doing the right things to fix that. You're still going to need a server, but with the Apps model they are trying to get us to a point where every developer doesn't need a server. Lets hope they succeed in this.

On 4/4/2013 8:00:33 PM Jason said ..
What laptop do you have with 32gb of RAM in it?

On 4/4/2013 10:11:58 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Lenovo W520