Windows Phone 8, I want you to be successful

Posted on 9/14/2012 @ 5:49 AM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 1757 views

I assure you, SharePointy posts are on their way – LOTS of them. Just aligning my cannons.

But, here is something I need to get off my chest. Just think of this as thoughts of a fellow techie who wants the best for all of us.

Consider this,

• There would have been no IE7, if there was no Firefox.
  • There would be no Azure if there was no Amazon AWS.
  • There would be no Windows Phone 7 if there was no iOS.
  • And if there was no MacOS, you my dear friend would have to choose between Linux or Windows ME.

See! Choice is good. Not only is it good for the consumer, it is good for us techies, us engineers. If there is no innovation, there is no new knowledge being created.

No innovation devalues our minds – when there is no use for them. No innovation also means poorer experience for users. The tech industry is very different.

Lets compare it with cars – you have 40 car manufacturers. Within the car manufacturers, there are sedans, coupes, convertibles, SUVs. There are so many kinds of SUVs, so many drive trains, hell even a choice of headlight types.

Now, here is the sad state of our IT industry,

1. Operating systems – Windows, Mac, maybe Ubuntu.
  2. Mobile Phones – Windows, iOS, Android.
  3. Word Processing – MS Word, maybe some other outliers.
  4. Spreadsheet – Excel, maybe some other outliers
  5. Database – SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL
  6. Ugh! Why don’t I have 40 choices in computers?

The ONLY people who gain by lack of competition in our marketspace are people who already have too much, the billionaires. They know that, and they strive to kill competition and to stifle innovation. See my rant on SkyDrive and Mesh.

To be clear, I am not attacking anyone’s success. I know Bill Gates took risks, and he has intelligence beyond mine in many dimensions. I know he is better, but how much better?
Let me put it in perspective what a billion is. Lets say, your annual salary was $200,000. You paid no taxes, you had no expenses. You saved every penny of it. And you had been working since the T-Rex roamed the planet. You would have saved $1bn. The richest man on earth would still be a 100 times richer than you.

These billionaires didn’t get rich because of what they produced! They got rich because of 15% capital gains tax, speculation and leverage in their stocks, while engineers, doctors, and lawyers are toiling away, paying 50-70% in peak tax rate – those engineers, doctors, and lawyers are the ones we continue to tax to death.

Anyway, I digress.

My point is, for the general health of our society, for progress in the human race, for choice for customers, and for the value of hardworking engineers – who produce stuff, who innovate, and not get rich off the stock market – capitalism needs to WORK! And especially in our IT industry, capitalism is being stifled.

How important is IT to the human race? Think about it this way, all progress made in the past 70 years, was computers, or due to computers.

• You know that 747 you fly? The first one flew in 1952. 70 years ago. How would you feel if 747 was still the major jet in year 2082?
  • That internal combustion engine that still runs 95% of worlds cars – was created 150 years ago.
  • Trains – the technology is 200 years old. Engines are 50+ year old.

Any improvements in these fields are not revolutionary, they are evolutionary changes fueled by COMPUTERS! IT! IT is so important, it is the only thing that matters anymore. It is essential that the IT ecosystem be healthy, which today it is not.

In tech. mobile space, the dominant OS is iOS, perhaps Android.

And with iOS being the only dominant OS out there, capitalism is NOT working.

Seriously, $100bn in the bank, 60,000 engineers, 3 years of stagnation – and all Apple managed to do was add a row of Icons? Are you KIDDING ME!?

Android was created with one sole purpose – to piss in iOS’s cheerios. So much of it a copy of iOS, it’s not true innovation. It is successful because it is free, not because it is better quality.

Windows Mobile is true innovation. It is a fresh approach to the problem it is indeed a better OS. I don’t like monopolies, but when iPhone makes more revenue than all of Microsoft combined, you know Microsoft is no longer the monopolist.

I want Windows Mobile to succeed, not just because it is superior, but because customers need a choice! BAM!

On 9/14/2012 6:18:30 AM Georgi C. said ..
Nice one! I agree completely.

On 9/14/2012 8:27:27 AM Grant said ..
Great post, Sahil. One minor point of distinction; the latter paragraphs make reference to Windows Mobile rather than Windows Phone. Just mentioning it (as a WP enthusiast) since they are different products :)

Again, excellent post!

On 9/15/2012 11:51:33 AM Bryan said ..
While I agree with you that competition is beneficial to everyone, I disagree with part of one statement. That is the idea that some folks who seem to benefit from lack of competition already have too much. I do not accept the idea that it's possible to have too much. That presumes that those who "have too much" are somehow preventing others from having their fair share of the pie. That in turn presumes that the pie is limited. Economic activity rewards everyone, not just those involved in specific transactions, by increasing the size of the pie. How much of that reward each individual gets is based on a mixture of factors including, but not limited to, luck, skill, willingness to take risks, and willingness to work.

On 12/19/2012 6:15:24 PM Starkey said ..
Great analysis. What kind of phone are you currently using by the way?

On 12/24/2012 12:41:48 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Starkey, after a lot of analysis, and question asking to the point that my friends started to avoid me, I went with iPhone5,white,64G. I am very happy with my choice so far.