Lumia 920 or iPhone5, which is it gonna be?

Posted on 9/6/2012 @ 1:59 AM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 1701 views

Deciding on a new phone is so difficult. I currently use an iPhone4, and I am itching to upgrade to either iPhone5 or Lumia 920. The decision is difficult because a lot of my work depends on my communication device, and whatever I pick, I will be stuck with for 2 years.

Here is how I see the two stacking up. iPhone 5 of course based on rumors so far. I didn’t even consider Android here because I don’t like Android as an OS. It’s too insecure, privacy intrusive, and frankly unreliable. I cannot bet my work on Android, sorry not gonna happen.

Feature

Comments

Who wins?

Wireless charging

I don’t care about wireless charging honestly. Practically speaking, it is not that inconvenient to click a cable or set the phone in a dock. But, Micro USB is a big plus.

Lumia

Metro UI

Lumia UI is nicer. No qualms about it. I know UI is subjective, but iOS UI is super dated. I am really disappointed that they did nothing to it in iOS6

Lumia

Headphone Controls

Those volume up/down, next track buttons on iPhone cords are very very useful in a cramped airplane seat, metro or bus. Sorry to see Lumia miss out on that.

iPhone

Device Looks

iPhone is pretty, but Lumia is downright sexier. I’d give iPhone 9/10, and Lumia a 10/10 on looks

Lumia

Screen Resolution

So far, per the rumors, Lumia has a higher rez nicer screen

Lumia

Screen size

4.7” may seem big to some, but there is no bevel. The device size is nearly identical, so I’d go for a bigger screen.

Lumia

Apps

Yes iOS apps ecosystem is much healthier than Windows Phone, but the apps that matter are better on Windows Phone. Mail, calendar, contacts, and skype integration experience on Lumia is handsdown superior. However, you cannot ignore that apps on iOS are far more readily available.

Draw

iMessage

I travel quite a bit, so being able to SMS for free without losing your reply to phone number is quite valuable.

iPhone

Camera

Remains to be seen how good iPhone camera is, but Lumia is bragging quite a bit about their camera. Honestly, to me personally, the camera is important, but not so important. Sorry but the lumia introduction event almost felt like Nokia released a camera that is also a phone. Honestly, I just don’t care, a phone is a communications device to me, and iPhone’s camera is good enough.

Draw

Offline maps

Lumia sort of wins, but there are apps you can download on iPhone to make up for this, so I’m call this a draw

Draw

iTunes

ACK! I absolutely hate iTunes. The only thing I hate more than iTunes is Apple’s unwillingness to acknowledge this piece of crap software and to actually fix it. Apple you suck.

Lumia

So it boils down to this – Lumia is a nicer UI and Ux, marginally sexier phone with a better screen. But you give up on headphone controls, iMessage and some apps you may like.

A part of me also wants to support Nokia as a struggling company that is trying so hard and actually making good products. I’ve owned Nokia in the early 2000’s, and it was the best phone ever.  I have never run into someone whose Lumia died on them, so it is a quality product.

Also, as a consumer I wouldn’t want to live in a world where iPhone was the only choice. Plus, I hate iTunes with a passion. I so absolutely hate that piece of crap, ugh! Using iTunes is about as bad as gargling with a poo milkshake. Though, Apple’s customer service is top notch. So I don’t hate Apple.

Argh! I can’t decide.

What are you getting?

On 9/6/2012 3:07:56 AM Robert Seso said ..
There are two more important points: battery life and price. Both haven't been announced for the Lumia yet, as for the iPhone - I suppose they will be about the same as with 4s.

I will wait until the 12th to see the official iPhone announcement and make the decision after that.

On 9/6/2012 3:09:29 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Good points Robert. I think the battery life of Lumia will be similar to Lumia900/iPhone4, i.e. charge every night. As far as price, plus minus 100, unimportant to me at least considering you have to live with it for 2 years.

On 9/6/2012 3:31:20 AM Josh Felts said ..
I'm going to have to take issue with a couple of points:

1. "4.7” may seem big to some, but there is no bevel{sic}."

I assume you meant to write bezel here, but even then, there is a significant bezel around all 4 sides of the Lumia screen. I feel a taller / thinner phone will be easier to slide in and out of my pocket.

2. Apps - Draw

I can't even imagine how this is a draw. I have both a Windows 7.5 phone and iPhone 4 now, and all the apps that exist on both platforms are considerably better on IOS. I like the Metro interface as much as the next guy but this is a considerable stretch to call it a 'draw' IMHO.

On 9/6/2012 4:58:04 AM Natesan said ..
Sahil, One problem with Nokia is, they lose value over time. But that is going to be biggy only if you sell your phone. But, definitively Lumia 920 is a quality product like Nokia 1100 :)

On 9/6/2012 5:07:02 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Josh - points taken. The "draw" was considering that the main apps are better on lumia, and app choice is better on iPhone. I haven't seen the Lumia920 in real life, so perhaps the bevel is a biggie. I will put both vis-a-vis before buying of course :)

Natesan, good point. Resale value is not super duper important to me though. Over a period of two years, it amounts to 10$ a month or so. I'd rather have the right device. And no I don't want two devices.

On 9/6/2012 9:55:52 AM Rob Garrett said ..
I have to admit that the gap is closing on competition in the cell phone market, seems that the only real loser in the race is Blackberry with it's dated technology - at least the government like it.

I have to agree with Josh on his comment about the app store - hand on heart, almost every app I need for any situation is available on iOS, not sure I can say the same for windows, but over time I am sure that will change. That being said, if I was forced to take a windows phone, I'd go back to lightweight and have just the essential apps that I really need, and most of these are on all platforms.

I know you hate iTunes, but is it really 'that' bad? I've been using it for years and it does what it says on the tin. I've never had it crash on me, never lose my data, and having subscribed to match; I can now have all my music on the go (all 200GB of it). My one major complaint with Apple is the overinflated prices for books, movies and audiobooks in their store - kind of a bummer to have to buy a book on kindle because it's $5 cheaper than the iBook version.

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm liking Metro... oops, sorry, I mean Windows 8 UI. Having used it in Windows 8, I love the slickness, and so I too agree that Apple missed this opportunity to do something cool with their UI.

Like Mr Seso says, with the announcement of iPhone 5 being days away, a decision to purchase before then is premature. Sahil, man, I know you're the procrastinating type when it comes to spending money - this comment is more for those people (nameless) that purchased a new phone this week because they really could not wait.

On 9/7/2012 2:59:01 PM Miha Markic said ..
"too insecure" how,where?

"privacy intrusive" you mean like iPhone that sends your location data without questions, just like WP7

:-)

On 9/8/2012 4:26:15 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Robert - yes iTunes is THAT bad! :)

I'm still on the fence re: what I'm going to get. But last time around it was a slam dunk decision to get an iPhone. This time, I'm thinking over it :)

S

On 9/9/2012 7:56:06 AM Kiran said ..
Lumia 920 is better,I think.I will buy Lumia 920 :-)

On 9/9/2012 9:00:45 AM Sahil Malik said ..
I will most probably get Lumia too, but lets see what Apple shows in 3 days

On 10/2/2012 1:52:50 PM syc i-phant said ..
I'll wait to see if the iP5 has a removable micro SD or a swappable battery...hang on...I seem to be uttering the gibberings or a madman.