Using the Apple Keyboard on a Windows Machine

Posted on 7/28/2011 @ 1:58 AM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 1219 views

First of all, let me say this – this is the best keyboard I have ever owned. So good that it deserves it’s own blogpost on my blog that has gone cold as a dead fish (mostly because people steal content and claim as their own – sad). But I do have a big mouth, and intend to create original, copyrightable content soon. Stay tuned on that.

But that’s not what this is about. This is about the best keyboard ever!

See, I used to use the Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with backlighting. Truth be told, I never liked it. I used it for a long time, mostly because there are no good substitutes. My issues with the keyboard,

a) Backlighting was useless.
b) It wasn’t exactly pretty – and those who think it is, have no taste or choice.
c) Took too much space on the desktop,
d) The bigger issues were,

d1. The ctrl key (left bottom) was hard to hit. So frequently CTRL_F4 would be just F4. When I am working furiously on my PC, typing fast fast fast, this gets really annoying.

d2. And, it ate characters. Really! Like typing this on the keyboard would be lke typg this on thkeybard. REALLY REALLY annoying. Apparently it happens to people who type fast, and I do type fast.

So, frustrated with lack of choice in the PC world, I got myself an Apple Keyboard. (Forgive me father for I have sinned). And then I used a program called sharpkeys to remap the keys. And I have been using it for a couple of months now. This is honestly, the BEST keyboard I have ever owned. I can type fast on it, my hands don’t get tired, the keys feel great, and it is accurate.

If you’re curious, here are my sharpkeys settings -

Basically, I gave myself insert/printsc/numlock buttons. And the left windows and alt had to be mapped. And the keys at the top of the numpad, I changed them to media buttons.

For $49, I love this keyboard. Now I’m seriously considering getting the magic trackpad and make that work on my windows machine :).

On 7/28/2011 2:02:54 AM Pedro G. Dias said ..
You'll be over on Mac and cussing and swearing over XCode before you can say "The sixt sick shiek's sixth sheep's sick" - It's what happend to me!

On 7/28/2011 2:09:51 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Pedro -

#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>

@interface SickSheep:NSObject

{ }

-sicksheep;

@end

@implementation SickSheep

- sicksheep {

NSLog(@"The sixt sick shiek's sixth sheep's sick!");

return 0;

}

@end

I'm not cursing apparently! :)

On 7/28/2011 2:18:22 AM Pedro G. Dias said ..
Bah :-)

Keep the original posts coming btw - looks like copying other's content is the new fad, I find it (insert improper, derrogative adjective here) curious - glad to see you do too!

On 7/28/2011 2:26:07 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Original content will keep coming. I assure you!

I really really trying to restructure my workload before I do it though.

A month to couple of months :).

On 7/29/2011 8:27:06 AM Speednet said ..
Wired keyboards all the way! My favorite by far is the Microsoft 500 wired keyboard. Wonderful, cheap keyboard. They keyboard costs so little that you can just buy a new one every year or so. Unfortunately they recently discontinued them, so I picked up a bunch of 'em from CDW. eBay will probably have suppliers for many years to come.

On 8/1/2011 4:25:06 PM Jeff Ronay said ..
Yes, please keep the original posts coming. I have your book (excellent imho) "Microsoft Sharepoint 2010" and your writing is spot on.

On 8/1/2011 6:08:02 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Jeff, I will. Pinkie Promise!

The thing is, when I write FOR SOMEONE, including the book, I have to be very formal and not funny, because funny can be offensive. You know how that goes! I am working on a secret project with Dr. Evil to get the original content flowing again, but this time copy protected, and hopefully more valuable than before. Also, way cheaper than buying a book. So everyone wins.

Gimme apprx. 2 months :)

On 8/8/2011 10:57:08 AM Rob Garrett said ..
..and the conversion to Apple starts :)