Importing SPD Workflows into Visual Studio 2010

Posted on 6/30/2010 @ 12:32 AM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 503 views

Earlier today, I tweeted an interesting pop quiz.

My Question was simple –

What is this image?

I got some interesting answers! :) But here is the real answer.

The above, is what you get, when you export the out of the box Approval workflow, from SharePoint Designer 2010 and import into Visual Studio 2010.

So all that marketing talk that tells you that SharePoint designer workflows can be exported as WSPs, and then imported into Visual Studio, well take that with a large grain of salt.

On 6/30/2010 1:56:25 PM Thank you for posting this said ..
Had a conference call user group meeting with someone from Microsoft where they mentioned importing SPD workflows into VS2010 shortly after demoing how easy it is to create them in SPD. I said "cool, let's see it". There was a hesitation before she proceeded to go through the process which brought up an unexpected error she quicly resolved and then led to the kind of code I would expect to see behind the image you posted.

Would you want to support an imported SPD workflow that looked like that?

On 6/30/2010 11:16:13 PM Nik Patel said ..
Does that mean future versions of the SharePoint Power Tools for the Visual Studio needs to implement the smooth import process?

On 7/1/2010 2:56:56 AM Sahil Malik said ..
I don't know what the future needs to implement. This is just more about "be careful of the marketing talk, reality is different". I think ideally speaking, the import should produce cleaner code.

On 7/29/2010 4:22:13 PM Brad Thurber said ..
I noticed the same thing earlier this week while prepping for a presentation on workflow. I wanted to show creating a workflow in Visio, moving to SharePoint designer and finally to Visual Studio. I guess it makes sense that something like this happens. There is a lot going on in that Start Approval Process action. I'm still at the early stages of learning workflow, but it is difficult to know what tool to use. If I use SharePoint Designer with the Start Approval Process action and then business requirements necessitate moving the workflow to Visual Studio it looks like I may be in trouble. On the other hand, if I use Visual Studio, then I have to learn WF 3.5 - which looks to be throwaway knowledge. There looks to be a book coming out called "Professional Workflow 4 in SharePoint 2010" which gives me some hope but I'm not sure how this will be possible.

On 8/31/2010 10:49:06 AM Eric said ..
Where is the .wsp file located for the OOB 2010 Approval workflow where I can download to import into Visual Studio 2010?

On 7/27/2011 6:16:08 PM Wes said ..
That is an OOB workflow, but what about one created by a user? Is it just that the OOB workflows are big?