SharePoint 2010 looks hot on an iPhone!

Posted on 1/4/2010 @ 8:04 AM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 2403 views

SharePoint 2010’s UI is designed to work well on mobile devices. It also senses if you are on a touch device, such as an iPhone and puts the links slightly apart so they are easier to touch. If you create a SharePoint site, here is how it looks OOTB.

Basically it’s taken you to the All content page. Smart move I think!
Lets visit the announcement’s list.

Wow, so I can add a new announcement, set filters, and of course existing announcements are visible too.
How does the calendar look?

Oh sweet! Well okay, it isn’t quite the iPhone calendar you’re used to. But I don’t see it being very difficult to add an ical or ics to a SharePoint calendar list. And really, then you’d get full iPhone integrated calendar experience.

And here is how you can add new calendar appointments right through your iPhone. NICE!

On 1/4/2010 10:16:40 PM J R said ..
If you thing that is nice, you haven't see what the people behind Mobile Entree did with Sharepoint for Mobile (even on 2007): http://www.mobileentree.com/default.aspx

The default setup for the iPhone even makes it look like you're running a native app (things sliding around and the like)

On 1/5/2010 8:46:20 PM Troy Hunt said ..
Granted, it’s good functionally, but what an eyesore! Couldn’t Microsoft have done anything to make the UI a little more compelling? Short of dedicating effort to custom branding you’re going to be left with a very unattractive site.

On 3/16/2010 9:52:28 PM Andrew said ..
Hot? Um. Get out much? Take a look at Picassa, Gmail, or m.cnn.com on an iPhone. SharePoint 2010 might be functional on an iPhone but I'd hardly call it "hot."

On 3/16/2010 11:10:05 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Andrew, what if I put naked pictures of cute chicks in my document libraries? I bet cnn would never do that! Anyway, point taken, but in fairness, you should also see WinMo7 and SP integration.

On 4/7/2010 5:32:49 PM James West said ..
To be honest that isn't even nearly thrilling me.

If you want to see something proper please checkout my product, Rapid CMS. It works on just about any kind of phone with a half decent screen available.

On 4/30/2010 7:32:35 PM Munger() said ..
I would not say "hot" by any stretch of the imagination. See the Apple Wiki for what looks "hot" on the iPhone for collaboration systems and portal technology. See WordPress if you want hot for iPhone in same vein. This looks mickeymouse.

On 8/2/2010 2:50:24 AM Shane said ..
It obviously doesn't look very good because it is compatible with older phones.

On 8/25/2010 3:15:05 AM Dilshad Qamar said ..
Why iphone open the mobile version site of Sharepoint2010 instead of opening the main site like sharepoint 2007 main site that are open on iphone automatically.

On 11/3/2010 11:40:51 PM David said ..
Check out Moprise - a native SharePoint app for iPhone and iPad. The iPhone version gives you full access to your SharePoint on the go. It is easy to see what's new, read your documents, and share links or docs via email. The iPad version, just out today, is magical and optimized for documents on a big screen. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moprise-sharepoint-documents/id400585451