SharePoint 2010 lets you put the ECB Menu on any column

Posted on 1/1/2010 @ 10:43 PM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 3907 views

Usually, the ECB menu (y’know that menu that says Edit Item/View Item/Manage Permissions on each list item in any view), is available only onthe title column! But in SP2010, you have the option of showing that menu on any column in the list.

Here is how -

1. From the browser, in the ribbon, choose to Modify View with SharePoint Designer.
  2. Click on the field you wish to see the ECB menu in, you will see a little floatie button with this on it ">"
  3. Click on that “>” floatie, and it shows a little popup dialog that looks like this -

"Common xsl:value-of Tasks"
- Show List Item Menu
- Show Link To Item

• Check the "Show List Item Menu" checkbox, save, and bingo - you have the ECB Menu on the new column.

On 11/10/2010 7:52:38 PM Dale said ..
This works...mostly. If you're in a Document Library and you choose to enable the ECB menu on the Title field (by selecting 'Show List Item menu'), the ECB now appears with the doc title (good). The issue is that SharePoint is unable to determine the type of document from the Title field and therefore displays "Edit in undefined" (bad). If you select this option, SharePoint doesn't know how to open the document and you eventually end up at an error screen (really bad). Do you know of a way around this?

Also, is there any way to get the document to open directly from a field besides Name? It's possible to open the document properties dialogue, but I haven't found a way to directly open the document (except using the file name field).

On 1/28/2011 1:17:56 AM sush said ..
Thanks friend! It helped me.

On 2/16/2011 11:54:31 AM Noah said ..
This works to add a menu or link to additional columns, but is there any way to remove the link and menu from all columns? I have an external list which I want in "read-only" mode, with no View Item link or menu dropdown.

Thanks

On 2/16/2011 11:54:42 AM Noah said ..

Thanks

On 3/5/2011 10:29:15 AM Mojtaba said ..
Nice

On 3/15/2012 12:25:26 PM Ken Versaw said ..
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

On 8/9/2012 8:13:57 AM sumit Arora said ..
Good Article. I am able to add ECB on other column. But I want to remove ECB menu from the default column that is either from Title or Name. In my case it is Name.

Please help...