New Article – SharePoint 2007 Ninja Debugging

Posted on 6/28/2009 @ 12:36 PM in #Community by | Feedback | 5207 views

My new article is online on code-magazine! :). This is an unusually nice article IMO. In this article, I demo a trick I use frequently to keep my SP installations healthy. Hope you like it.

 

SharePoint Applied: SharePoint 2007 Ninja Debugging

Sound off but keep it civil:

Older comments..


On 6/29/2009 10:03:42 PM Srini Sistla said ..
Couldnt go beyond 1st page... it was asking for registration (premium) :-)


but i got the essence and i completely understand (on the issues that people bring to you) that you are way ahead of all these troubleshooting. People need to understand the roles of individuals and levels of escallation before just throwing the questions at random.


On 6/29/2009 11:26:53 PM Sahil Malik said ..
I have a few issues (paper), will give you one when I see u next!


On 7/17/2009 12:18:50 PM olonga said ..
Sahil,


I tried installing Sharepoint Manager 2007 from codeplex on my win 2008/MOSS 2007 development box. However, when I double click on the exe file "SharePoint Manager 2007.exe", it gives me a message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". What does it mean and how do I fix it?


On 7/17/2009 12:51:46 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Olonga - that's a Q for Carsten .. please leave this message at spm.codeplex.com.


On 8/19/2009 9:54:58 PM Andy said ..
I read your full article in Code magazine, and I tried applying it to a WSS 3.0 site. The Application Events get logged just fine, but no errors get logged. I added a button on the ErrorLogger.aspx page that just throws a new exception. SharePoint displays it's generic error page, but the error doesn't show up in the logs. What am I missing?


On 8/19/2009 11:00:15 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Andy - sounds like a web.config issue to me.


On 8/20/2009 9:06:42 AM Andy said ..
I've tested it on both a WSS and MOSS installation, but get the same results. I've looked through the web.config, but I haven't done any modifications to it, so I'm not sure what could be causing the issue. Below is the healthMonitoring section, and I can't find any places in it where I might have messed up. Anyone else experience this problem?

<healthMonitoring enabled="true">


<eventMappings>


<clear/>


<add name="All Errors" type="System.Web.Management.WebBaseErrorEvent" startEventCode="0" endEventCode="2147483647" />


<add name="Application Events" type="System.Web.Management.WebApplicationLifetimeEvent" startEventCode="0" endEventCode="2147483647" />


</eventMappings>


<providers>


<clear/>


<add name="SqlWebEventProvider" type="System.Web.Management.SqlWebEventProvider" connectionStringName="ErrorLoggerConnectionString" maxEventDetailsLength="1073741823" buffer="false" />


</providers>


<rules>


<clear/>


<add name="All Errors Default" eventName="All Errors" provider="SqlWebEventProvider" profile="Default" minInstances="1" maxLimit="Infinite" minInterval="00:00:00"/>


<add name="Application Events Default" eventName="Application Events" provider="SqlWebEventProvider" profile="Default" minInstances="1" maxLimit="Infinite" minInterval="00:00:00"/>


</rules>


</healthMonitoring>