Microsoft Explosion Ultimate edition

Posted on 6/14/2009 @ 11:25 AM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 2270 views

The spectrum of MSFT technologies has exploded in the past few years! Even as a developer, now to create something compelling, you need to up to speed with so many disparate technologies – it is QUITE a challenge! I don’t mean to sound full of myself or toot my horn, but I think personally I’ve done quite a good job at keeping up with a large # of MSFT technologies, not everything – but quite a broad spectrum. But then again I have no life, and I’ve been in this industry for many years now, and I have a very unidirectional brain – excellent at computers, and super sucky at most everything else (As I type this, I am sitting in a hotel lobby, and I just almost set the waffle iron on fire!! Not kidding .. trying second time around now).

The challenge is, when I teach! When I teach, it is very difficult for me to ask everyone to have a certain set of pre-requisites, and expect everyone in the class to exactly be of the same prerequisites! It is hard to say – you need to know ASPNET, there is so much else than that! And then every single class I have taught, has come with a mixed bag of audience. Sometimes the course runs quicker than expected, because I am not covering as many basics, sometimes it runs slower – because I have to cover basics. My approach is always to carry more content than I can cover. Because heck – I don’t know what the class will look like! And I don’t know how fast things will run. If I have more material, I can always use it  … if not .. attendees get to carry it back home!

Now, this challenge has been around for a while! But why this blogpost now?

Because y’all – as I look into .NET 4 and SharePoint 2010, it’s getting out of hand! I mean, it was a challenge with SP2007, but it’s getting nuts going fwd!

So, my friends, how are you keeping up with technology these days? I am HELLA interested in your views on this!

On 6/14/2009 2:12:41 PM VojTas said ..
You have got this pretty clear, I have the same point of view.

Pretty tough times are comming to keep up all informations.

I think possition of technology specialist will be needed in each IT company, just for selecting right tools to use. And we are talking only about one company/programming language, not to mention keeping up with other technologies also :)

On 6/14/2009 3:14:39 PM James Curran said ..
It's really tough! I'm just getting into .net development, coming from a classic asp background. MVC is awesome and where I want to devote lot of my attention, but in order to get there I have to learn lots. I have to get a basic grasp of traditional asp.net, learn object oriented programming in general, learn C# (VB.NET just doesn't feel right), learn LINQ, the list goes on, just for a basic understanding. I would also like to do things the "right" way with TDD & AOP, but some of the AOP considerations are a bit advanced for me right now. I stay on top of things by throwing myself into the community in every way. I attend a local MVC special interest group as well as a .net focused user experience group. I have all the main .net focused blogs on my google/ig page, especially the aggregators. I'm subscribed to nearly every .NET related podcast that are out right now on my iphone, and I'm catching up with all of them, starting with the beginning of 2007 (DNR is the toughest one, tons of episodes between then and now). And I'm taking some .net classes at my local community college. Oh, and my company just purchased MOSS 2007 so I need to get up to speed on that as the only intranet guy there ;) So, yes, very challenging. But the volume of content out there is amazing and if you're truly motivated there's really no excuse to getting up to speed and staying on top of things.

On 6/15/2009 11:18:51 AM Peter said ..
I'm effectively boycotting everything from Microsoft, preferring instead to learn it immediately before I need it. Not to say that I've turned off the brain, but I try and ignore every single framework released. It's been a net win with things like WF 3.0 (now deprecated by the breaking changes in 4.0) and LINQ to SQL (which is dead like WinForms).

On 6/16/2009 12:21:28 AM Sahil Malik said ..
LOL Yeah, I usually see a technology, and have gotten quite good at seperating marketing hype from what will really stick. Linq to SQL, I thought was a dead start. I was never too impressed by WF3.0, or it's applicability to SharePoint even. Too complex, and too many scalability/performance issues. So I stick with things that I feel are better done than others.

My pet peeeve is this whole "SQLMetal" like theory MSFT works on to generate DataContexts etc. Great demoware, but not fit for real life. But they keep pushing it :) .. whew!!

S

On 6/19/2009 12:08:29 PM Kryptonite said ..
Sahil, you are definetley right, Ms and it's latest technologies and their releases, it's almost impossible to keep up with them, but i been following you for sometime and been very impressed with the way you keep yourself updated, now that i read this blog of yours i am begning to think even u are just a human just like the rest of us. Kudos!

On 6/19/2009 1:07:52 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Dude, I am definitely a human! In fact, I feel suffocated sitting in the speaker's lounge at conferences, where everyone wants to be a "speaker", nobody wants to be a listener!

On 7/1/2009 5:27:39 PM Boss you r just another IT junkie said ..
Yes. I agree with you MVP like you eat the cream on the cake and do not invest in what is there in the core. And guys like with me deal with the core and the crust and you know what I built things which last for atleast 10 years but what you do is just boasting of this and that technologies without knowing what their futures are! Boss so many things are being done with millions of product that are around n u r just sticking to Microsoft's product and thinking they are doing gr8 job and singing their songs, which is like a duck stuck in a well when whole world is out ;)

On 7/1/2009 6:16:59 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Okay Mr. Anony-Mouse Boss you r just another IT Junkie, why so mean? Just like you, I do build and support real systems. About me sticking with just MSFT's products, its because I like Visual Studio, and the general consistent experience across their products. I am sure the other side of technologies are just as exciting, but y'know I can't learn everything, now can I!?