Microsoft SharePoint 2010: Building Solutions for SharePoint 2010

Posted on 12/13/2009 @ 5:20 PM in #Books Authored by | Feedback | 3010 views

About time I finally introduced my next big project. I have undertaken to solo-author Apress's flagship SharePoint 2010 book. Being a solo-author is generally a ton of work. However in my opinion if the entire book comes from a single author it generally tends to flow together better.

In my book I intend to tell a story. A story I wish every productive SharePoint team member knew. I purposely didn't say development or ITPro or designer. To a large extent there is an overlap within these roles, and these boundaries have purely been created as a matter of convenience because there's simply too much for one person to learn.

Thus my book is intended for someone who knows ASP.NET and wishes to learn SharePoint 2010.

Yet another reason that me to convinced to write this book, was that there will be plenty of SharePoint 2010 material available, but none in a form that has a personality or as a pleasure to read. And frankly none that is close to the practical side of things about what works and what really doesn't work.

In my trainings and talks and in this upcoming book you will see plenty of practical side of things that you won't find on MSDN.

Finally SharePoint 2010 is a huge topic. There is no way in the world that I would be able to fit it in a single book. Nobody can. However my intent for this book isn't to be feature complete and describe every single detail of SharePoint 2010. My intent in this book is to equip you get enough knowledge to be practically productive on day one, and give you enough tools that you can go dig for more information when you needed. I will of course supplant this book with a number of blog posts as we go along.

I take authoring seriously, which is perhaps why I don't do much of it except my blog. My previous book Pro ADO.NET 2.0, was very well received. People still read it even though we are in .NET 4.0. I have since reviewed books, authored magazine articles and co-authored chapters in books for MSPress. Even though I'm proud of my co-authored chapters, they simply do not compare to the quality of the solo work. They just cannot.

I would also like to introduce to reviewer of the book, Robert Garrett. Robert and I have known each other for a long time, we have worked together, and I respect his thoroughness and technical skills. I'm lucky to have him as a reviewer, as he's one of the few people who have had hands on experience to SharePoint 2010. I've asked him to be extremely critical of my work.

Writing a solo book is a ton of work, and I intend to do a good job at it. Presenting, Microsoft SharePoint 2010: Building Solutions for SharePoint 2010.

On 12/14/2009 5:10:32 AM Sunjay Singh said ..
sahil great to see a book coming from your stable. your blogs are fun to read, and i do hope your book is too. generally tech books tend to be drab. Just one request, if you can ask your publisher to get a kindle version too. it would be nice.

sunjay

On 12/14/2009 2:24:25 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Hey Sunjay -

I think there will be a Kindle version :), but I'll ask to make sure!

S

On 12/14/2009 3:27:43 PM Brian Bedard said ..
So will it be ready when the product ships? I can't tell from this post how far you've gotten and how much you lack. Please take your time. But I can't wait to read this one. I've been thinking about developing a course (internal) to take ASP.NET developers into SharePoint development but I didn't know where to begin. Good luck!

On 12/14/2009 6:27:53 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Hey Brian -

Yeah the idea is to finish it right around RTM. However, it looks like the APIs and some details may change significantly between now and then .. so .. right around or right after RTM. :)

Lets just say, as soon as possible, without being inaccurate.

S

On 2/17/2010 11:59:25 AM Adil said ..
Thats Cool, A book by You, Will order it today.

Regards,

Adil

On 6/15/2010 2:05:18 PM Nik Patel said ..
Hey.. Got your book.. Read the first chapter and liked the jokes.. Seems like nice book. I agree, solo writer books are more coherent..

On 6/15/2010 3:26:08 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Thanks - if you like it, I'd really appreciate a review on amazon.com :). Thank you! :)

On 9/7/2010 5:01:41 PM Craig Wales said ..
I've really enjoyed your book so far. This is the second book I've purchased in hopes getting myself of to speed quickly on SharePoint Development. I love your approach. I junked the first book because i was going no where. Your book is easy to read I'm getting my monies worth out of it.

However, I was wondering if I could get your help. I'm having some issues with Chapter 4. I can't get your code that comes with the book to deploy or my own code following the book. I'm getting the error: "Error occurred in deployment step 'Activate Features': Value does not fall within the expected range." Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong. If I remove the Event Receiver it deploys fine. I've followed your steps up to Page 104.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Craig

On 5/31/2011 4:56:52 PM Mike Elkins said ..
Re: Craig Wales' problem from 9/2/2010

I ran into the same problem. In my case, I had to fully qualify the path parameters in the GetFile and GetFolder methods used in the FeatureActivated and FeatureDeactivating events. Then, I was able to deploy. For example, I specified the path for the GetFile method as "/sites/RSSProject/WebPartPage/WebPartPage.aspx".

On 12/1/2011 4:27:03 AM Rai said ..
HI Sahil , seems the ZIp file for source code on the Apress site is broken. Couldnot unzip it , Can you please make the source code available on this site

On 7/18/2012 6:38:58 AM John Gates said ..
With regards the Chapter 4 page 104 error, I got it to work by removing the leading "/" from url string in the first line of the FeatureActivated as follows:

SPFile file = (properties.Feature.Parent as SPSite).RootWeb.GetFile("WebPartPage/WebPartPage.aspx");

On 7/18/2012 8:46:49 AM Sahil Malik said ..
John,

I was writing a reply to you, but I instead ended up writing a blogpost.

Here you go,