This will save you some hair.
OOTB, with Win2k8, in a single machine environment, you won't be able to
- Save directly to a document library
- Map a document library
- See document libraries in windows explorer
- Create VS2008 workflow projects (which IMO suck anyway)
- Publish InfoPath forms directly to content types or document libraries.
- Bunch of other such scenarios
How do you fix all this?
- Start server manager
- Add the "Desktop Experience" feature.
That's it - everything should work now. Damn, that was easy!