10 Reasons why you want your SharePoint Server to be Windows Server 2008 - 64 bit

Posted on 5/27/2008 @ 3:27 PM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 4110 views

Okay, let me get the 64 bit out of the way first. There are two unarguable reasons in favor of 64 bit -

The real Q is, why is Windows Server 2008 a better platform for your MOSS installations?

Here are 10 reasons why -

1. Deployment, Deployment, Deployment: Anyone heard of PowerShell? Well it's baked into Win2k8, and you can access the entire SharePoint and .NET object model using powershell scripts. Better start learning it.
  2. Management of your IIS - PowerShell and a new utility called AppCmd allows you to manage IIS through commandline. AppCmd will let you do cool stuff like backup the entire configuration of your IIS 7 website. NEAT!
  3. Much more flexible logging using Request Tracing in IIS 7.0, this means diagnosing offending parts of your SharePoint installation just became a whole lot easier.
  4. Worker processes are isolated by default - which was a best recommendation in ye olde 2003 tymes, but it's nice that isolation is the default behavior now.
  5. The security configuration wizard, just run swccmd.exe, and you will be able to securely lock down your sharepoint machine by answering a few english sounding questions.
  6. Don't need to do IISReset as much as IIS6 insisted on. This is because literally everything now is controlled by the web.config, and the asp.net app will recompile itself automatically whenever it detects a change in the web.config. Not to mention, if you really wanted to iisreset - you used to use a cscript and a .vbs to recycle the application pool instead. Well, it just got easier in IIS7, using appcmd. Simply execute the below:
    %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd recycle AppPool SharePointAppPool
  7. It's all in the web.config baby! That's right - System.WebServer lets you control every aspect of the web server - thus a shared IIS machine can be fully customized to suit your SharePoint-y needs.
  8. The resource monitor - Well you've seen it work in Vista, but the resource monitor will let you pinpoint, which process is chewing up what resource. Something that the task manager did a very poor job of.
  9. Server Manager - the one cool place to manage your entire server. Check out the "Diagnostics" section. Event Viewer - you knew what that was. But under the Reliability and Performance section, you have amazing reliability monitoring and performance monitoring tools.
  10. Fewer reboots - Non Kernel patches now will not need a reboot.
  11. .. and finally, the icons look a lot prettier :-)

On 5/28/2008 1:29:18 AM Zubair.NET! said ..
hey Sahil,

I had alot of trouble the other day getting MOSS 2007 up and running on Windows Server 2008 after spending a good amount of time trying to install the 'SP1 slip streamed' version of MOSS that somehow managed to install, I ran into many permission related issues, I gave up and installed it on a Win 2003 box instead.

On 5/28/2008 5:59:57 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Zubair - I've had no problems installing MOSS on 2k8. Really :)

On 6/15/2008 5:08:23 AM Brian H. Madsen said ..
Hey Sahil,

I've just been on a POC project, which included MOSS 2007, Win2008 and InfoPath 2007 and ran into some serious issues with permissions as well. Especially around the InfoPath 2007 forms.

Even simple forms which just posted their data into a form/document library proved to be a hassle and running in browser-enabled mode also proved to have problems.

Some of the more complex forms had code-behind + WCF services which they consumed and that was an absolute nightmare.

So, the POC went back onto Win2003 instead of 2008 and everything went ok.

It seems that permissions on Win2008 was the main issue here and that it was a near nightmare getting even just reporting services working together with MOSS.

Anyways, am still looking for solutions as it's bound to eventually move to Win2008, for now though, we remain on 2003.

Shame, but that's what we hit our heads against all the time..permissions.

On 6/15/2008 11:41:32 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Brian -

Win2k8 is substantially different. But, see here is the thing - 1 year from today, you will be developing on Win2k8. Which is why I am putting my course together. BTW, last night I talked with someone in Australia, so I might be coming over there to deliver. Ping me for details if interested.

Sahil

On 6/16/2008 12:01:48 AM Brian H. Madsen said ..
Hey Sahil,

awesome - i'll get into contact with you re: OZ training!!!

and you're right, Win2008 will come along sooner or later regardless of what i think, will need to migrate it all anyways, but since this is a POC project and sponsored by MSFT i don't determine the $$$ and hours spent towards reaching a business requirement.

will need to document what's required and post a blog i think...might start on compiling that list soon.

On 3/30/2009 9:44:29 PM JT said ..
I know this is kind of an old post, but i am having trouble finding a solution to my problem so i thought i would ask. I have a fresh copy of Windows SBS 2008 and a copy of MOSS 07. Both of these products came to my company through the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription for partners. My company is currently using Windows SBS 2k3 with WSS 3.0 and we are looking to upgrade in the next few months to 2k8 and the full blown MOSS 07 Enterprise. I am trying to get familiar with both these systems prior to our full upgrade but i am having issues getting MOSS loaded. I am told that the OS does not support my verson of MOSS that came with the MAPS. Is there a way i can get around this issue? I tried downloading the MOSS trial version and using my MAPS activation key for this but it would not accept it. I was successful in downloading the trial version and using it, but i would much rather use the full version we got for R&D.