(I promise - a few good sharepoint posts are on the way, I'm just way too excited about my new iPhone right now, please bear with me)
Earlier I had blogged about getting an iPod Touch. I said, I was perfectly happy with my WM6 phone. Okay, I wasn't unhappy with my WM6 phone, but I wasn't exactly thrilled either. The biggest plus point of my WM6 phone was "tethering", i.e. my laptop could get online anywhere.
I started reading about the screen issues in the new iPod touch. I am pretty sure Apple will take care of them, but, I suddenly paused and asked myself -
- Price Of iPod Touch = Price Of iPhone
- iPhone Features > iPod touch
- iPhone memory = iPod Memory /2.
Okay, so here is my theory about memory - "If you can't find a song you like in 2000 songs, the problem isn't your mp3 player". So that knocked off the memory issue. that left me thinking .. hmm .. can I put up with the ATT network?
Okay, for the hella super convenience and amazing featureset and experience of owning an iPhone ... y'all - I bought an iPhone.
Having owned it for 48'ish hours now, I can confidently say, this was a good decision. This is the best phone I have owned EVER. Let me tell ya why -
- What did I loose compared to WM6?
- iPhone doesn't have games. the only game I care about is chess.
- I can't do tethering anymore.
- Exchange activesync - well boo frickity hoo - no big deal IMO.
- Worse coverage indoors only (AT&T). I am holding back opinions on this for now as I haven't taken any long conference calls on my phone from home just yet. But we'll see.
- What did I gain?
- A phone that actually works without freezing every 20 seconds. (No shit!)
- An amazing device, the ease of use, the thought behind every UI element screams of Apple everywhere. This is a very well put together device.
- Visual voicemail - yes it is a big deal.
- A beautiful, gorgeous screen that makes using email, browser etc. so much nicer.
- A much better battery life.
- No reason to carry an MP3 player - the phone does both :)
- A full fledged browser, this is a big win.
- A cheaper rate plan compared to verizon.
- And a serious simplification of my life, this stuff just works man, no twiddling around, no hanging issues, nothing!! IT *just* works.
Dispelling myths -
The keyboard is a worth while tradeoff for much larger screen space. The autocorrect doesn't work as well as WM6, but I am getting used to the keyboard.
Critiques of iPhone -
The iPhone has a serious bug. When you POP3 email over Gmail, it randomly tells you "This message has not been downloaded from the server". That is super annoying. The workaround is to go gmail.com and check your message there, OR, use IMAP. This is a big downer, and I hope Apple fixes it soon. I am speculating that iPhone downloads only headers and downloads mail content on demand. That is just silly.
Update: See this - http://blah.winsmarts.com/2007-10-iPhone_+_Gmail__This_message_has_not_been_downloaded_-_WORKAROUND.aspx
I'm keeping the phone. The plusses far outweigh the negatives.