SharePoint 2007 Workflows - Setting up your environment.

Posted on 7/9/2008 @ 12:18 AM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 22607 views

Table of Contents for on SharePoint 2007 WF Authoring using Visual Studio.

1. Setting up your environment for writing VS2005 workflows.

2. Writing an ultra basic workflow, deploying it, and slicing dicing how it worked.

3. Making that workflow more complex, adding if/else, and a bunch of activities that sort of make it more interesting.

4. Adding user interaction to that workflow using Infopath forms.

5. Authoring SharePoint 2007 Workflows using VS2008.

In order to be able to write SharePoint 2007 workflows, you will need to have the following setup on your development machine.

1. MOSS2007 (or WSS, if that is what you are targeting).

2. VS 2005 (VS2008 needs some initial setup).

3. WF Extensions for VS 2005. You may skip this if you are using VS2008 and instead use these instructions.

4. SharePoint 2007 SDK + ECM Starter kit.

When you have installed all of these, you should see the following project templates inside of Visual Studio -

If you see the above projects, you're all set to move on with the next steps.

On 3/11/2008 12:31:05 AM m.mahesvarii said ..
Excellent guidance

On 6/9/2008 5:37:32 AM Raja said ..
Ya its good...simple to understand as a beginner...thanx

On 5/8/2009 9:17:55 AM Taffy Lewis said ..
Very good, so far so good. Thanks!

On 6/3/2009 3:35:53 PM ramii said ..
Excellent...thanks for your postings..provided me a good startup with WF's

On 9/10/2009 12:33:14 PM binoj said ..
I did follow all the steps but I don't see the project templates shown here. I also did a lot of other things to install the templates and setup the environment after reading a few other blogs.

Other commands that I executed when the installation failed to install the templates.

devenv /setup

devenv /installvstemplates

Also changed the import/export setup. Earlier it was pointing to SQL server user. Now I have reset to .Net development.

Also changed the user project template and user item template locations to reflect the locations where the actual templates are stored.

Also manually extracted the templates from the zip files.

No luck so far. Any idea how I can resolve this. Any help is greatly appreciated

On 9/22/2009 1:09:15 PM anuraj said ..
please tell me how to create a workflow in visual studio and deploy it in sharepoint...

On 2/14/2010 9:57:48 PM Dimantha Thenuwara said ..
good guidance for the biginner