Stealing WiFi at airports

Posted on 7/25/2007 @ 8:12 AM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 5338 views

Standard disclaimer applies, this post is purely for educational purposes. If it gets you jailed, fined, sterile, or anything - it is purely your fault.

So it stinks that airports charge you so freakin' much for WiFi. I just don't get it - they provide you with electricity, and lighting, and running water - why the hell not free WiFi.

Well, as it turns out, if some sucker has paid for free wifi, soon as he leaves to catch his flight, you can actually piggy back his connection for free.

Here is how.

• Most airport networks will allow you to connect to their network, and then ask you for your credit card. Go ahead connect to the network.
  • Check the IP you got, chances are, there are a bunch of others with similar IP ranges. Start nbtstati'ing them and figure out their MAC Addresses.
  • One of these suckers, who actually paid, has a Mac address that is no longer in use.
  • Use macshift to spoof your mac address.
  • Reboot.
  • You're happily online.

w00t!

On 7/25/2007 10:30:08 AM Bill said ..
Jeeezuuusss dude. "Why not free wifi"? Why not free food and drinks, and parking and free everything else. GEt a T-Mobile internet plan and you can use it at every airport in the country - it's cheap and you only need a wifi card to take advantage of it.

Ash and Deeya both told me that the fact I have access to Hotspots is why they find my hottability factor so much higher than your ;-)

On 7/25/2007 10:36:31 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Okay, I think both your points are complete horseshit.

a) Wifi Should be free and ubiqutious.

b) Ash and Deeya do not think that you are hotter than me.

On 8/3/2007 11:05:08 AM Becky Isserman said ..
First off I think Bill is mean. I have never gone to his blog before and when I tried to access it was incredibly slow. You get a higher hotness rating than him just for that reason.

Second off I agree with you that wifi should be free. One day the local governments will create entirely free wifi cities. It already exists in pieces of the city of St. Louis and Hollywood, Florida and probably other cities. If you look at just about every Panera, then you will notice that they have free wifi. Also, if you look at the internet speeds they increase and the cost becomes cheaper as time passes due to technology becoming cheaper. I am hoping someday places like Sprint and Tmobile who charge for wifi will lose there market or be forced to offer free services.

On 8/3/2007 1:34:59 PM Sahil Malik said ..
LOL Bill - I got a higher hotness rating than you.

The rest of what she said is pretty worthwhile too - but I'll read it when I get over the hotness rating comment.

Okay seriously, I agree - WiFi needs to be free!!

On 8/3/2007 1:54:47 PM Bill said ..
Well, i am very mean but you've got to be kidding? What did I say mean in that post? Yep, our web server is having mega troubles b/c of some upgrade issues but hopefully it'll be fixed shortly.

At the risk of being Pedantic, they aren't free at Panera. Go ask a Panera manager about it, if it's really free or not. They don't charge you for the service directly, so it may look free, but it isn't. Everyone pays for it whether they use it or not, so the cost is diffused so much that it's not worth mentioning.

So why is Wifi different from Cat5? Why shouldn't that be free too if Wifi should? Should data plans for cell phones and wireless broadband service be free too, until we get free wifi? It's always easy to say something should be free when you're not the one paying the cost of it. Nothing is free, there's cost somewhere, so a price of 0.00 to me and you aren't the same as free.

If Wifi really was free, across the board and everyone had access in this country, do you think there wouldn't be any dowside, painful downside in many cases?

Also, are you both of the mind that it should be free everywhere, or only for rich Americans (which compared to most of the world, we all are)? Should it be free in Haiti, Bangledesh etc?

On 8/3/2007 1:59:49 PM Bill said ..
Ok, well one of them admittedly is. What is horseshit about my first point? Why is Wifi different from other things, particularly since it's not a life or death necesssity? Would you feel the same way about making Sharepoint Consulting services free? Last I looked , you don't have much of an investment in infrastructure of internet, so you would have much to gain and little to lose by free Wifi. Not sure the same is true for Comcast, Charter, Verizon et al. I'm pretty sure if there was a push to make Sharepoint consulting services for free out there, there'd be a lot of support. But considering the investment you have in it, where'd you'd be adversely affected by it, would you feel the same?

Hey, I'm fair and at least try to be intellectually honest. If my point is horeshit, I'll concede. But just dismissing my point without addressing why it's wrong makes me think your name should be Sah Maliktert as opposed to Sahil ;-)

On 8/3/2007 3:06:06 PM Sahil Malik said ..
LOL Bill - not that I disagree with you, but, Dude, all that matters now is that I've been given a higher hotness level than you. I think that pretty much kills all arguments :).

To put it in perspective.

Hotness(Sahil) > Hotness(Bill)

Also can be rearranged as ..

Hotness(Sahil) < Hotness(Bill)

OUCH! :)

On 8/3/2007 3:06:51 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Okay the second one was supposed to be

.. can be rearranged as ..

Hotness(Bill) < Hotness(Sahil)

On 8/4/2007 1:53:39 AM Bill said ..
Yah, I know, and it's driving me insane. In a few hundred key strokes, Becky crushed me because that equation just flat out sucks. When I'm done pouting, I'll figure out a way to address the issue. Every time we get in one of these battles, I end up playing Charlie Brown attempting to kick the football, then someone like Becky comes along and if you watch Snoopy, you know how it ends up.

You can't keep beating me at everything though, your luck is going to have to start running out ;-) Maybe I can enlist Frans to my team so I have a fighting chance.

On 8/4/2007 4:08:52 AM Sahil Malik said ..
LOL :)

On 8/4/2007 4:57:59 PM Bill said ..
Yo homie - I saw you called yesterday - I'll get a hold of u 2nite when I get a few free minutes

On 8/4/2007 10:46:34 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Hmm .. if you were the "Unavailable" caller at 9:28 PM today who didn't leave a message - tough luck man. Or maybe you didn't call at all?