What happens after gotdotnet.com dies?

Posted on 5/18/2007 @ 8:10 PM in #Vanilla .NET by | Feedback | 3505 views

Remember www.gotdotnet.com? Yeah that clever spin on got milk!, except the site was always plagued by reliability problems.

Well, the site earned a bad name, and it was deemed unfixable, so codeplex was launched.

I hope codeplex runs away to a huge success, but seriously dude - there are scores of useful projects sitting on gotdotnet, what happens to those?

Maybe this has already been raised - if so I haven't seen it. But, loosing all those useful projects would be a massive irreplaceable loss to the .NET community. There are scores of books, and links all over the web that reference gotdotnet projects.

If there isn't already a solution planned for this, I would kindly request the community to yell at the peak of it's lungs, so they don't kill gotdotnet completely. Heck - mark it as read-only/no future work .. or whatever, but don't kill it. :-)

On 5/19/2007 9:33:13 AM Matthew said ..
I guess each project that anyone cares about will migrate over itself. There's a bunch of stuff up there that was dead in the water.

On 5/19/2007 2:08:29 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Matt - actually there is tonne of good stuff, that was written at one point and people don't update it anymore. But it is still being used.

On 5/20/2007 11:06:48 PM Kent Boogaart said ..
I concur: some kind of readonly access would be good. However, I suspect they're unwilling to do that with the gdn code base because it has to be babysat so much.

On 5/25/2007 12:00:58 PM Steven said ..
It would be nice if they moved all of the projects on gotdotnet over to CodePlex and all of the links to the gotdotnet projects redirected to CodePlex.

On 5/25/2007 12:35:18 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Damn, wouldn't that be nice!