VMWare 6.0 ROCKS! Kicks Virtual Server's butt!

Posted on 5/13/2007 @ 8:31 PM in #Vanilla .NET by | Feedback | 7196 views

Okay, pardon me for being non-Microsofty, but I have no issues appreciating a job done well.

Full disclosure: I have a professional association with EMC Corp - the company that owns VMWare. But this post is my views, completely unbiased of my association with EMC.

VMWare, simply rocks! Thats all there is to it. VMWare simply kicks Virtual Server's ass out of town. I am running their latest release on Vista Ultimate, and here is a rundown of why exactly VMWare is hands-down a whole lot better than Virtual Server. (Virtual PC sucks so bad IMO, that I am not even going to bother comparing it with VMWare Workstation).

• VMWare actually works on Vista, without having to pull my hair out during setup.
  • Do you have a laptop with Vista on it? Can you terminal service to the VM :-). Can the VM actually use the wireless connection? In Virtual Server, getting your VM to go out to the internet, on a wireless equipped vista laptop, is ridiculously difficult. With VMWare, it worked out of the box!! No shit! So does terminal servicing, file sharing between VMs or between the real machine and the VM.
  • VMWare will let you take a physical machine and convert it to virtual. LOL :), bye bye old computer that I had to sell, but was worried about loosing it.
  • The performance of Virtual machines using VMWare is hands-down better. Not only better, with VMWare you get
    • USB
    • Audio
    • Video
    • And did I mention audio and video acceleration.
  • I like VMWare's shortcut keys better than I like Virtual Server's. I think you will agree with me that rather than prerssing "Right Alt" + Del, "CTRL_ALT_DEL" is a lot better choice. LOL. And when you are full screened, or F11'ed (get VMWare, and you'll know what I'm talking about), the top bar lets you easily get back to where you were, or switch between VMs. The UI is a whole lot better than V'server.
  • Oho - check this out -

In Virtual PC/Server, I have to monitor that crap myself. And VMWare keeps giving you such hints that make your virtual life a lot better.
  • The snapshot manager in VMWare - TO DIE FOR -

Note: The above is linear only because I am still building that tree. With time, you can have an entire tree-view of time saving goodness. LOVE IT!
  • Ability to map a virtual disk directly. Extremely useful if you need that file off of the virtual machine, but you don't quite wanna start the damn thing ;-). In Virtual server, you will have to start the virtual machine - and even then you have a 50-50 chance on Vista, if you will be able to connect to the machine :-/.
  • And a whole huge list of other things such as a huge number of choices of kinds of disks you can support, etc.
  • Much more advanced networking possible on VMWare than Virtual server.
  • Don't need freakin' IIS eating up memory on my host OS.
  • .. many other things.

So, in short, I'm a convert. Go get VMWare, virtualize your work - you will thank me later.

On 5/15/2007 10:20:30 AM MikeD said ..
Does version 6 have feature to compress virtual disks?

On 5/15/2007 5:04:37 PM Doug Seelinger said ..
Don't forget that VMware Workstation 6 has true multi-monitor support! And I don't mean that you can be full-screen on one monitor with a VM and the host OS in the other, which is what Virtual PC calls multi-monitor support. I mean that one VM can display on both monitors in full-screen mode - extended desktop style.

On 5/16/2007 3:52:54 PM Benjy said ..
The snapshot manager really gives me goosebumps!! thats innovation !! thanks for this review.. very compelling case for VMWare now (and to move from my current VPC..although i must say i like the portability of the single VHD file between VServer and VPC)

On 5/24/2007 5:04:56 PM Matt said ..
Workstation 6 will open your VHD files too if you've already got VMs from VPC or Virtual Server and want to upgrade...

On 8/1/2007 5:13:18 PM Vic said ..
$200 vs. free

On 12/23/2007 7:47:53 PM Danielp said ..
I must address a few of your remarks about VS:

VS works on Vista. No problem here. I bet you didn't set it up right, because it does, and trust me, I didn't need to pull my hear out either.

VS works without IIS. You can use VMRCplus to manage it. You do not need IIS.

VS works with any wireless adapter. I don't know what type of adapter you're using, but I works, out of the box. All you need to do is to select it and bingo.

The host key is a benefit? Common, you can do better.

I do agree about the USB/Monitor/Audio stuff, but only if you need it. I don't.

On 12/24/2007 10:36:42 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Virtual Server works on Vista? Not without hacks it doesn't!!

Virtual Server works without IIS - but is VMRCPlus the best way to manage it?? Have you seen VMWS's IDE?

VS + Vista = do not work with wireless.

Yes the host key is a benefit, and yes I can do better ;-)

USB/Monitor/Audio/Bluetooth do matter.

And the biggest one of all - Performance is much better on VMWS.

On 8/4/2008 8:13:24 AM ggo said ..
Well... VMWARE WorkStation 6.0.4 does not work well at all on my XP SP2 notebook... it keeps on hanging, during new OS installation (Vista), or trying to use an existing VM (win2K). I'll stick to the 5.5.6 version for now.

On 7/8/2009 9:06:04 AM OldBeno said ..
I have Virtual Server working on Vista no problems - i did not hack any of it. All my virtual machines also use my wireless connection. Maybe you need to learn how to set Vista up properly...

That said the snapshot facility in VM looks interesting...have to get me a trial download...