SharePoint 2007: BDC - The Business Data Catalog

Posted on 4/24/2007 @ 5:20 AM in #SharePoint by | Feedback | 44567 views

Tommorow evening, Carl & I will be recording Episode #4 of DNRTV:SharePoint 2007. For those who are interested, also checkout DNRTV: SharePoint #1, DNRTV: SharePoint #2, & DNRTV: SharePoint #3. BDC is one of those topics that you just have to leave back the code you used in the demos. So I am chugging out a number of blog posts this weekend describing BDC, and I will be referencing these in DNRTV. So, here goes.

What is BDC?

Microsoft definition: BDC is a new feature in MOSS 2007, it provides you with an easy way to integrate line of business data in MOSS 2007, without any code.
Sahil defintion: BDC is a really cool thing available in the relatively more expensive versions of MOSS. If anything is accessible using an ADO.NET provider, or a web service, that data can be brought into SharePoint, and then you can use it in one of the following ways -

In subsequent blogposts, I will cover the above one-by-one, and provide links to the above one by one.

On 9/17/2007 2:13:34 PM Melissa said ..
I currently have an excel spreadsheet that has one page of charts, followed by multiple tabs for the supporting work. Can you PLEASE help me find the easiest way to post that to my sharepoint site? I would truly appreciate any help you can provide!

On 1/4/2008 5:18:40 AM PANKAJ LAHOTI said ..
hai

Installed bdc meta but while getting set up i m geting eror as

"ASSEMBLY NOT FOUND... AND HR,PUBLIC KEY TOKEN ......

On 2/15/2008 4:15:42 AM dhk said ..
I have the prob on xml when querying with result result ora-12704.

my bdc need to connect to oracle 8.x which the search key was defined as varchar2.

and my parameters are defined as System.String

do u khow how to solve this issue.

On 3/3/2008 4:46:32 AM Steve Clements said ..

Can BDC be used to get data from a WCF service? If so, have you got an links to the beautiful XML that could help me!?

On 3/3/2008 10:38:44 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Steve,

You can! But you have to first write the service targeting the OM.

On 4/29/2008 11:46:32 PM Shilpa said ..
Hi, I want to take data from Peoplesoft CRM into SharePoint. Can I do it through BDC.

On 7/10/2008 10:26:18 AM Chris Eyre said ..
The Sahil defintion is not entirely accurate.

It is rather difficult to use any ADO.NET provider.

You can use:

-ODBC

-SqlServer

-OLEDB

-Oracle

that's all folks!

I am trying to get the BDC to talk to Sybase via the OleDb provider.

This is far more painful than it needs to be!

Even the tools don't cope with the OleDb option.

Oh and in answer to the above question of can BDC call data from a WCF service - yes, expose a Webservice endpoint and suck the data in from that.

On 7/17/2008 11:10:12 AM gary b said ..

On 7/17/2008 11:11:01 AM gary b said ..

On 10/30/2008 4:21:33 AM Hafees said ..
What is the real advantages of BDC and What is real time usage?

On 12/17/2008 5:11:03 PM Ryan Singer said ..
Hello all,

I want to simply access SQL backend data from my (flat and dimensional) data warehouse. Is there really no way to simply connect to a SQL database from Sharepoint?

On 2/3/2009 10:32:15 AM USER said ..
I am net to BDC Concept in Sharepoint :(

I wanna learn it !

On 2/25/2009 8:33:50 PM ikram said ..
bdc data picker returns garbage i.e. (__bg40004300) in the list column. picker displays the data and filters without any problems, but once i select the data and click ok, it returns garbage in the column, anyone please advise?

On 3/5/2009 12:55:30 PM Gilles Sylvestre said ..
Hello,

I have a project where I need to perform cascading lookup in a NewForm.

For example, I have three fields in a list: Manufacturer, Year and Model. All three fields are lookups. The last field (Model) is a lookup on the model list where Manufacturer an Year are past as parameters to the querry.

In order to do that, we wrote some code and some JS. It's woorking fine.

I am evaluating the BDC potential for our projects. In your opinion, is it possible to achive that (cascading lookup) with the BDC.

Regards

Gilles

On 3/5/2009 12:56:08 PM Gilles Sylvestre said ..
Hello,

I have a project where I need to perform cascading lookup in a NewForm.

In order to do that, we wrote some code and some JS. It's woorking fine.

Regards

Gilles

On 5/2/2009 1:11:54 AM Dalvir Saini said ..
Hi..

I wants to write a Application Definition File for BDC using WCF Services. So that i can save/update database. How can define methods in ADF for saving data if i m using the WCF service methods(SaveData(string empname, string empadd)) for saving data.

Please Help me.

Thanks & Regards

Dalvir Saini

On 5/2/2009 1:18:04 AM Dalvir Saini said ..
Hi..

can you send me some exampel code of WCF service for saving data and Application Definition File for BDC on my id dsingh@snlcorporate.com.

Thanks & Regards

Dalvir Saini

On 5/11/2010 9:59:13 PM WSS Newbie said ..
Is it possible to get data from a SQL DB into a list in Windows sharepoint Services v3?

thanks

On 12/21/2010 3:46:51 AM dc said ..
Hello,

I have scanario in which i want to read and update peoplesoft data.will BDC work for update as well. If yes how can i will achieve that. I want data should flow both way.

Is it need to make use of component interface(as web service ) of peoplesoft.

Thanks In Advance.

On 6/15/2011 4:30:10 PM Jesse Ontiveros said ..

I purchased both your SharePoint 2007 & 2010 videos, let me just say, very good material. However, the videos just cover everything about SQL and not external data sources like Oracle. I'm trying to use the Free Application Definition Designer and connect to Oracle, however, I'm gettin errors when tyring to execute the FindAll_Table and I get the error "Cannot connect to the LOB system". Do you know how to work with Oracle tables? How can I create an ADF with Application Definition Designer? Do you know of any other free tools? Please advice.

Thanks,