Wishlist: IE8 & Vista

Posted on 3/26/2007 @ 1:38 PM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 10660 views

Okay, I am going to type in here the various things I wished Internet Explorer 8 or Vista would have. I don't intend to make this a "Flame" post, so any flame comments will be promptly deleted. But if you have a constructive comment to add, please by all means.

Here is my ever growing wish list for IE8.

• Dragging a TAB to an open area, should open that same page in a new window.
  • When IE crashes, there should be an option for it to restore state, i.e. re-open the tabs I had opened when it crashed.
  • When installing ActiveX controls, include the option of "Never trust content from this publisher".
  • Allow blocking of certain types of content from specified domains. For instance, please block .swf from ads.junkyads.com - so the swf audio volume on those stupid stupid ads doesn't jarr me out of my bones at 2 AM.
  • Allow me to set volume control on flash content in one window, without having to loose sound in flash in another window. In fact, flash and anything such, must have a forced mute button.
  • The CTRL_F find function in IE, JUST SUCKS! in comparison to FireFox. You can get the same behavior using an add-on I mentioned earlier, but I wish it had that behavior OOTB.

Here is my ever growing wish list for Vista.

• Allow me to create shortcuts with a checkbox saying "Always run this as admin". So when I visit the shortcut to manage my virtual server in IE, that shortcut prompts me for UAC.
  • Ship Vista with a USB footpedal (no shit). If you depress that pedal as you perform an action, the UAC dialog won't show up, and the request will silently elevate.
  • Have the option of the OS turn lean & mean on demand. For instance, if I wish to run a couple of VMs, I should be able to run a command to unload all non-essential services and processes with a single command, and then reload all of them into their previous state when I'm done. (Seriously, the iPodservice doesn't need to run when I am running 3 VMs).
  • The "Run" dialogbox (WIN+R) should also exhibit "search" behavior, much like the textbox on the start menu does. Also, I wish they'd spend some effort and make that "run" dialogbox a tad bit sexier than a windows 3.1 look & feel.
  • A notepad.exe that doesn't barf on a file > 64K. A calculator written in WPF, so it doesn't squeeze to less than 1 inch size on my desktop. Frankly the calculator could use some serious upgrade, for starters, CTRL_C/CTRL_V needs to work better in that app.

On 3/26/2007 3:23:10 PM Mark Bonafe said ..
I have one. You said I couldn't "flame" and I'm trying real hard. How about IE8 working properly on XP pro? On both systems I tried this, I had to do a total HD restore...

On 3/26/2007 3:51:25 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Hey Mark, IE8 isn't even released yet ;), how could it work on XP Pro? ROFL!

Okay seriously, I haven't had an issue with IE7 working on XP Pro.

On 3/27/2007 5:15:29 AM Mark Allan said ..
If you hit the "Advanced" button in shortcut properties, you'll find your "Always run this as admin" option already there. I like the "lean and mean" idea though!

On 3/27/2007 8:53:01 AM Mark Bonafe said ..
LOL. Ooops. My bad. So far I've only gotten it to work on fresh installs of XP.

On 3/27/2007 8:53:07 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Hey Mark,

Thanks for pointing that out. I can't seem to find it on an IE favorite though.

On 3/27/2007 11:23:28 PM Kent Boogaart said ..
Hey Sahil,

Good list. The foot pedal idea made me laugh out aloud.

FYI, IE7Pro (http://www.ie7pro.com/) does some of the stuff on your list, such as restore tabs after a crash.

I'd also like to be able to save all open tabs under a name and then be able to restore *all tabs as a group* at a later date. The Favorites menu lets you add all opened tabs into a folder but it doesn't appear to provide an easy mechanism to open all those favourites again. I'd like to right-click the folder under the favorites menu and select something like "Open All in Separate Tabs".

On 3/28/2007 2:23:16 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Kent,

Keep the suggestions rolling - I bet someone @ MSFT is listening ;-)

On 3/28/2007 7:23:38 AM Daniel Moth said ..
I wholeheartedly agree with your 3rd wish item for Vista. I have asked for this before:

My comment on your 2nd wish item for IE8 became a bit long :-)

To Kent: hover over your favourites folder and then click the blue arrow on the right; it will open all links in tabs.

On 3/28/2007 10:57:56 AM hextreme said ..
Make your voice heard! MS is asking for suggestion for IE8: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=222 (found via: http://internetexplorer8.net/)

On 3/28/2007 11:07:35 AM Sahil Malik said ..
hextreme - where I can give that feedback?

On 3/28/2007 11:28:53 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Hey Daniel,

I read through your blogpost. Man, you've gotta have steel ones to kill processes willy nilly like that. Ideally, I should be able to flash freeze non-critical processes with a button click, and restore them back with another button click. There are gray areas here, for instance, what if your VPC uses the host network connex?

On Vista, I have a commandline program to turn of dwm, search, sqlservr, and run iisreset. That seems to bring my mem usage to < 500MB. But on Win2k3 it was easy to hit 350 MB. So Vista, OOTB is a much heavier OS. And unfortunately, on 32 bit OS's this does matter quite a bit. :-/

The best option of course is to go to 4Gs of RAM on a 64 bit host machine, but that's more $ to spend, and sometimes your bosses don't feel like spending $'s.

On 3/28/2007 12:44:11 PM hextreme said ..
Sahil, the survey is in:

I think it's only for Windows Vista ("Longhorn") beta testers, though :-|

On 3/28/2007 3:24:21 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Hmm .. I can't access it. But if anyone can - please put that in.

On 3/28/2007 7:30:22 PM Kent Boogaart said ..
Thanks Daniel! It took me a while to find what you were talking about because I always use the Favorites menu (which does not have the blue arrow), not the popup list (which does). Guess I'll try and change habits to use the popup list . . .

On 3/31/2007 2:21:38 AM AsbjornM said ..
What about the stupid session sharing between tabs?, I hate it!:)

On 3/31/2007 4:38:36 AM Sahil Malik said ..
AsbjornM, I completely agree!! There should be an obvious way to break out of the session.

On 3/26/2008 4:25:37 PM Al said ..
I use IE7 allot. One thing would help me.

Have IE8 File: "save as" screen be able to be set full screen.

This would help anyone work with longer directory paths.

I wish all windows would always allow full screen setting,

but need it most for IE8 "save as" screen currently.

Al.

On 7/3/2008 4:09:13 PM rolfhub said ..
> I wish all windows would always allow full screen setting,

> but need it most for IE8 "save as" screen currently.

If you are using any application on Windows Vista, you can simply try to doubleclick the titlebar of the "Save As" window, doubleclicking should toggle between normal display and fullscreen display of this dialog. I don't know if this works with IE8, but it sure works with many applications.