Lasik - 1 week after

Posted on 10/13/2007 @ 2:21 PM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 5032 views

Life is good without glasses, this has been an expensive, but good decision. Life is good without glasses, for the following incomplete set of reasons:

• When you travel, and break glasses - the waiter brings you another pair.
  • When your friend at the pool says "Damn check out that hot chick in the red swim suit", you don't look at the fat guy in spiderman speedos and say .. Ooh yeah!!...
  • When you go for a lapdance, you enjoy all of it, rather than the first 30 seconds after which your glasses are all smudged up.
  • You don't step out of the shower and look at the clock and say "DAMN I'm LATE", you do that IN the shower instead :-).
  • You turn your scanner on a cute chick, make a 3d bitmap and store it for afterwards use. If she complains, you just show her your prescription and pretend you're blind and feel her, err.. your way out.
  • When the doc asks you to read the lowest line on a snellen chart, you say "Made in China", and laugh hysterically.
  • When chick-picking, you never face the "Good from far, far from good" dilemma.
  • Your friends/relatives bring you free food, and take care of you, when really the procedure isn't that bad!

There is plenty of negative propaganda regarding Lasik out there. People tend to bitch about stuff that went wrong, but not talk of stuff that went right. Well - my Lasik went great, and I wanted to get this one non-tech post out and share my experience with many of my 4-eyed friends considering the procedure. For more specific info - contact me directly.

The basics -

Prescription before surgery: -5.50 and -5.75, with some astigmatism.
Prescription 1 week after surgery: 20/15 and 20/20 - no astigmatism.
Date I got glasses: April 1989 at prescription -2.5, -2.5.
Date I got rid of glasses: Oct 4, 2007. :-)
Who did it? Dr. Mark Whitten - TLC Laser Eye Surgery. The guy looks like a toad, but is quite experienced and did a quick/good job.

Overall experience:

• The entire experience was less painful than a visit to the dentist (and I have zero cavities).
  • The procedure itself was about 60 seconds per eye - maybe lesser.
  • Right after the surgery, you see smoky/double/blurry/cloudy vision. Go home and sleep because in about 30 minutes your eyes will start burning. In about 60 minutes your eyes will burn uncomfortably. Personally speaking I ate an Egg McMuffin right after surgery, it helps me sleep better.
    • How uncomfortable? Not as bad as cutting onions, but certainly noticeable. Definitely the same itchy burny feeling. Go cut onions for practice, divide that pain by 3 - that's lasik discomfort.
    • You will want to keep your eyes closed ;-), it is more comfortable that way.
    • Go home and sleep, 4 hours later, your eyes don't hurt anymore and your vision improves significantly, but not 100% there yet.
  • What I did was - SLEEP AS MUCH AS I COULD! And I have a pretty good capacity to sleep, so I slept literally through the day and night waking every 2 hours to put drops in my eyes.
  • Next day morning, my vision was 20/15 and 20/20, with significant halos.
  • Next day I had to work, luckily much of it was meetings, and I could keep my eyes closed. I had to spend 60 mins on a computer though - which was tough because of halos, but I lowered the brightness of the monitor, and that helped.
  • Day #3 and #4 - no computer, no tv, had enough sleep - my eyes were great, but my mind was going nuts because I didn't know WTF to do. I did write about 2 or 3 blogposts though.
  • Started work on day #5 - Monday.  Monday, Tuesday, Wed, Thu - worked my usual long hours, but insisted on getting 8 hours of sleep.
  • A week later
    • Halos are gone during the day, and minimal at night.
    • Vision is great
    • Doc. checked my eyes and said "no antibiotics or steriods required, no eye sheild at night, I can go back to my regular life".
    • Doc. said that I recovered crazy fast - heck, one day, I think I should just tell the world that I'm really superman.
  • 1 week, 2 days later - writing this blogpost - eyes feel awesome, I keep putting in artificial tears, though if I didn't I wouldn't miss 'em. Doing that just as a precautionary thing.

What I did to ensure speedy recovery:

• Gave myself 4 days off (more or less)
  • Slept as much as I could
  • Ate copious amounts of protein, vit. c, and vit. a.
  • Followed the doc's advice like crazy.

Of course, I was shitty nervous before I did it. There is an inherent risk in surgical anything. But if you choose to go for it - I wish you all the best!

On 10/14/2007 3:01:21 AM Indy said ..

Am a big follower of your blog, especially since your ADO.NET 2.0 book. Havent' caught up on reading your posts lately. Just read this one. Good to know that you are spectacles-free! I am sure you are enjoying yourself without them.

Cheers!

indy

On 10/14/2007 9:51:26 AM Andrew Macdonald said ..
Hehe.. You’re braver than me!!!

Just the thought of the pre-op needles and being awake during the procedure helps me to run in the opposite direction as fast as I can :(

On 10/14/2007 10:13:48 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Indy - hey good to know you enjoyed my last book :). Writing a book is so much work seriously.!

On 10/14/2007 10:15:09 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Andrew - There are no needles involved man, wtf ru talking about. All they do is, they clamp your eyes open so you can't blink, they pour some liquids to numb you out, then they slice your cornea with a laser, then they shape it with another laser (and you can hear clicking sounds, and the smell of your cornea burning), and then they tape you up and you're done! Totally painless :)

On 10/14/2007 7:29:30 PM Andrew Macdonald said ..
hehe... I once watched a program that showed the procedure (mind you it was a few years back now), they basically did what you say, but before they started they numbed the eye with injections :S

Guess things have moved on then :P might consider getting it done when I have a bit of spare dosh then :D

Seriously though.. thanks for the heads up... it good to hear from someone that has actually had it done.

On 10/14/2007 7:44:37 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Andrew - atleast in my case, I had zero needles involved. Like I said, it was less painful than a visit to your dentist.

As of right now, I see things crystal clear, it's like having natural eyes.

On 10/15/2007 1:09:44 PM britto said ..
good to hear that your procedure went well. I have pretty bad eyes too and thiking about doing lasik for a while and saving money through my HSA spending account. Someday I will get it done. how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? and how did you go about selecting the doctor?

On 10/15/2007 4:09:53 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Britto - hit the "Contact" button on the left, and I'll be happy to provide you with additional info.

On 10/31/2009 6:38:09 PM cj said ..
i had my first lasik surgery with Dr. Whitten in 1998. Vision improved to 20/25, never needed reading glasses. This past year, distance vision has deteriorated. Just had an enhancement to correct distance vision in left eye (nine days ago), so I technically now have mono vision and I am having a heck of a time getting adjusted to this.....everything seems cloudy. Am hoping this will go away. Anyone had this same experience?

On 11/23/2009 12:22:36 AM Sahil Malik said ..
Billy, terribly sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon. Every surgery has risks.

S

On 12/17/2009 3:17:09 AM Matt said ..
Great writeup, Sahil, your experience very closely mirrored my own. By the next day I'd say 85-90% of the cloudiness had gone away, by day three, just some mild halos at night. Never had any double-vision, or starbursts at night or anything like that. Tomorrow will be day 7 and my vision is better than it has ever been in my life. Halos around lights are already almost gone. What residual haloing that is left is only noticeable at night against bright lights, say, oncoming traffic. There is definitely a seedier side to LASIK, a lot of fly-by-night "doctors", but I went to Will Vision and Laser centers (www.willvision.com) up in Washington and I couldn't be happier. You really need to stick with the rewetting drops (single-use, preservative-free containers) for about a month at least, as the lasik flap creation severs the nerves in your cornea that tell your eye when it's starting to dry out and tell it to make more tears. So your eyes can dry out without you realizing it until it impacts your vision. I've been using about a drop per eye per hour and it seems to be doing the trick. Also agree with the vitamin C thing, and one last thing to add, DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Hydrating from the inside out can also help minimize discomfort, help with the healing process and minimize the dry eye.

On 2/1/2010 4:52:10 PM Jodie said ..
Hi Billy,

My name is Jodie and I am a regional director at LASIK MD. I am very sorry to hear you feel unsatisfied with your experience. I have spoken with Dr. Keon Nia, and he would be more than happy to meet with you at your convenience for a consultation. Dr. Keon Nia is a well respected and experienced surgeon with thousands of happy patients. We are confident that Dr. Nia will be able to resolve your concerns. Please phone me at 1-877-969-9888 extension 4005 to schedule your consultation ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Jodie Hebbard – Regional Director – LASIK MD

On 2/8/2010 9:43:56 PM Billy said ..
I see that my negative experience with lasik has been deleted - the truth is that many people have very bad experiences with this surgery - my eyes have been irreversibly damaged - constant eye pain and blurry vision - been to 3 seperate opthamologists since the surgery and none of them have been able to improve my condition. I had lasik 14 months ago.

On 2/27/2010 10:17:19 AM kwhit said ..
Just had Lasik this past Thursday, after fantasizing about doing it for 15 years. Have been insulin dependent diabetic for 23 years, so had some risk going in. Absolutely NO pain day of procedure, kept my eyes shut and slept for 4 hours after. That night, was able to watch TV, but lots of halos...kinda like a sticky contact lens day. 1st day post op, vision is 20/20 both eyes, but still, alot of halos. Went for a motorcycle ride (on back of husband's bike), and the wind was a bit much, so had to use rewetting drops ALOT. The dirty contact lens feeling seems to be subsiding more each day. All in all, a great decision, and worth every penny.

On 10/8/2010 10:58:09 AM Rene said ..
I just had Lasik and my vision after 1 week is terrible. I have very cloudy vision in both eyes but the left is worse. Left eye is 20/200; right is 20/20. My doctor says I'm part of a small group whose eyes heal too quickly causing the extreme haziness. He said it could take 2 months for it to go away. I'm using steroid drops. I would recommend anyone considering lasik to do one eye at a time. I'm living the nightmare of waiting...

On 1/17/2012 9:03:41 AM L.O.L said ..
Hi! Just came across this blog after researching blurry cloudy vision after Lasik. I just had LASIK done yesterday by Dr. Whitten as well! Everything went smoothly and my experience so far in the first day has been the same as yours except that my eyes were burrrrrrrrrning the rest of the day. This second day though has been much better, the pain is gone but I still slightly feel some grittiness but it is not as noticeable or bad as it was yesterday. I'm hoping the cloudiness will go away soon as well. The cloudiness has much improved since yesterday but it's still a bit annoying. I am about 30 minutes away from going to my post op appointment with my eye doctor and I can't wait to see what my vision is like now (scientifically speaking). I still see halos around lights, I always saw halos around lights even before LASIK but the halos are much much more apparent after LASIK. I am hoping they go back to how they were before because this can get annoying. I can deal with the halo that I experienced before LASIK let's hope what I'm seeing now goes away.

Thanks for your positive post! All week before my surgery I was reading all the horror stories (no idea why I would torture myself like that) and it scared me half to death! Thanks for your positive post! :)