Microsoft just had a baby girl.

Posted on 11/29/2006 @ 11:55 AM in #Non Techie by | Feedback | 3183 views

DID YA KNOW !! PS3 came out. OMG. Also the Wii. And by the way, VISTA is out too. Well anyway.

I have a theory, Vista is indeed a groundbreaking shift in operating systems. Why? Because it has “character”. So much so, that I insist that we should start calling operating systems using a pronoun other than “it”.

And Vista - is definitely a “she” y’all.

Why?

Well consider this.

- The drivers are missing.

- The makeup on her face is really important, even though I personally think it’s gawdy and most real men programmers will probably revert it to windows classic anyway.

- Everything you knew is in a different place named differently, and somehow all that is now better than how I left it last time around.

- It is aware of “People Near Me” – even when I’m sniffing on my neighbor’s wifi. Earlier my neighbor would have to go look at the logs of his Wifi router and he’d discover a weird computer called l!nuxsuX0rz, now he simply sees “Sahil Malik” in the neighborhood #!@%$^%@!.

- And most of all, she nags A LOT !!  especially about elevated security rights.

But I am pretty sure like most other women, I will learn to love Vista and accept her in my life. It will probably help when she (vista) flashes her good stuff built on .NET 3.0, is when Vista will become truly compelling.

Hmm .. can't wait!!

On 11/29/2006 12:19:47 PM Daniel Moth said ..
No dude... If Vista is a woman then surely real men are attracted to her ;-)

In any case, unlike common women, she doesn't care where you leave stuff and if you are organised because if you lose something you can just search for it whichever room you are in (start, explorer, ie, control panel etc).

Like men she appreciates gadgets. SideShow gadgets, Sidebar gadgets...gadgets gadget gadgets (the 3rd one is for live gadgets btw)

Unlike women, Vista doesn't spend spend spend... It is power aware (improved power plans) and likes to go to sleep rather than collapse (shut down) after a day's work.

At the first hurdle, Vista doesn't give up go to a corner and cry. Vista gets up on its own (restart manager, restart/recovery APIs) and like any good male engineer is genuinely interested in finding the problem (WER enhancements).

I could go on but if my wife reads this she'll call me sexist ;-)

On 11/29/2006 1:12:47 PM Mark Bonafe said ..
Wow! Is it really that bad? I've never hit a woman before, but in this case I might make an exception.

On 11/29/2006 1:43:51 PM Frans Bouma said ..
hahaha :D good one! :)

Btw did you read that story about the 24 people working on a fancy shutdown menu for a whole year?

On 11/29/2006 8:14:24 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Daniel -

I agree, real men will get attracted. The mystery attracts us I guess. :)

Mark - it isn't bad, it's just womanly.

Frans - yeah man I read that story. Sounds like government to me. LOL

On 11/29/2006 10:39:07 PM Vikram said ..
Wow great story, But the story by Daniel Moth was better

On 11/30/2006 2:29:35 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Vikram, that's not the point. I think we are all in shock about what Daniel wrote. Seriously, Daniel has a wife? Someone married him? She must be brave - just like Miss Vista. :)

On 11/30/2006 5:39:59 PM Daniel Moth said ..
Vikram, glad you liked the story... shame I couldn't think about it without being inspired by Sahil's... :)

Sahil, leave it out! :)

Seriously, I do have a wife and she is also a .NET developer... you can imagine the boring conversations over dinner... we argue about whether Vista is a great new release or whether it is an absolutely fantastic new release...

On 11/30/2006 6:49:45 PM Sahil Malik said ..
Well atleast we agree that Vista is a girl. I bet your wife is just jealous of Miss Vista.

On 12/1/2006 8:08:37 AM Daniel Moth said ..
When did we agree on that? Looks like the anti-Vista drugs have the side-effect of thinking everyone agrees with you... don't you agree? :-p

On 12/1/2006 11:55:01 AM Sahil Malik said ..
LOL. :)

Okay fine, we don't agree with your wife is jealous of Miss Vista. Happy? Heheh :-P

On 12/1/2006 5:48:40 PM Daniel Moth said ..
This is your website so I won't win will I? I give up :-D Looking forward to your blog entry in a month... it usually takes that long for people to see the true light (aka Vista rocks!!)